Friday, November 22, 2013

50 Novembers

This month marked the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.  President Kennedy fell victim to an assassin’s bullet while en route to a luncheon in Dallas, Texas on Nov. 22, 1963. I decided to finally visit the Sixth Floor Museum downtown to see what it was all about. The moment I began the tour I was mind blown. It was so surreal to be in the same building where Lee Harvey Oswald committed the heinous act. It was like going back in time. I was fascinated to know more about JFK and also about the social and political climate of Dallas around that time. I purchased the newspaper that ran the day following the assassination as a keepsake of history.

In addition, I also had the chance to listen to Hugh Aynesworth give his account to what happened the day JFK was shot and killed. The documentary that played before he spoke was mind-boggling. I didn’t know JFK was headed to a luncheon at the Trade Mart in the design district of Dallas until I watched the film. Although I wasn’t born in 1963, it was nice to relive that moment in time and learn about Dallas in a different light and see how much the city has changed since that infamous day. Unfortunately, I couldn’t attend the memorial ceremony due to prior engagements but I do believe that Dallas has erased its image as being the so-called “City of Hate.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment