Monday, March 22, 2010

NAACP Southwestern Region VI Conference


From March 18-20, 13 TSU students, including myself had the opportunity to attend the regional conference in Midwest City, Oklahoma. Being my first NAACP conference I was really looking forward to meeting new people and also finding out what we need to do as members of the Youth & College Division to enhance the image of the oldest civil rights organization in history. I was able to reconnect with the students from Sam Houston State and also meet new people from San Antonio and from nearby Langston University. National president Benjamin T. Jealous via telephone spoke to us about the issues that are facing Black America such as the ever-increasing dropout rate of high school students in America. I especially had fun mingling with the students from the different schools and being able to create a long-lasting bond. I truly thank the TSU administration for allowing us to put the school on the map and hope to send us to the national convention in Kansas City, KS this July.

0 comments:

Post a Comment