Monday, March 8, 2010

My experience at the sit-in ceremony


The experience of hearing the original pioneers tell their individual stories was truly inspirational. I enjoyed every aspect of the commemoration of the sit-in, from the symposium to the unveiling of the marker. I had a chance to march with current and former TSU students to the marker because of the actions of a few led to major changes around Houston. I also was able to meet smooth jazz artist Joe Sample. The march reminded me of marching with the students at Prairie View in 2008 when they were going through their voting struggles. The one thing I took away from this was that young people changed history and that the young people today are too complacent and assume that everything is ok when it's not the case. I also liked how the cars stopped in the streets just to see what was going on and the singing of songs by the marchers. It immediately painted a mental picture of what took place in the 1950s and 1960s. Life changing events of this accord is what makes TSU one of the most unique HBCUs in the country. I believe that if the student body could take the time to learn about the history of the school, then they can embrace it more instead of complaining about the negatives of attending Texas Southern University.

0 comments:

Post a Comment