Monday, May 14, 2012

Student debt rising at alarming rate

Now that graduation season is  in full swing, many newly college graduates will now begin the transition from college life to the real world. However, there will be no parade, no confetti, no scores of fans cheering your name.

Instead, it will mark the never ending days of finding employment, considering post-grad options and steadily waiting for the first notice from good ole Sallie Mae.

The question I pose is, why is student debt increasing so rapidly instead of jobs for these newly college grads, including me? Why are potential employers not hiring college grads and instead hiring those age 50+ because they ASSUME they will work at the companies longer?

 Yes, I, too am a recent college graduate (Texas Southern University, Class of 2011), that is currently unemployed and saddled with debt. I honestly believe that employers don't want to take the time and money to develop someone who is at the entry-level and instead hire someone who has 10+ years of experience.

Despite my current situation, I firmly believe that God will do more exceedingly and abundantly than what we could ever ask or think.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban clearly agrees with what most of the pundits say on rising student loan debt. Here is his take.

I urge all college graduates to just remain patient, have faith in God and I assure you that He will come through for all of us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment