Friday, February 3, 2012

Depression: Life's emotional black hole

Earlier this week, Ashley Duncan, 17, committed suicide after reaching out to hundreds of Twitter followers but to no avail.  Then on Wednesday, Soul Train creator, host and producer Don Cornelius also committed suicide. He was 75.

Now we may not know what internal issues each of these people were dealing with at the time of their untimely deaths, but what I do know is that depression is very real. It is a disease and suicide is just a mere result.

I too suffered and was diagnosed with severe depression and suicide thoughts back in September 2009 during my senior year of college. I know what it is like to feel the lowest of low, to wonder if this is all life has to offer, if ending my own life will ease the emotional pain. I spent a week in a psych hospital and given Lexapro to deal with this sickness. I still cope with it to this day. The difference is I have allowed myself to trust God to give me the strength to deal with it.

My issues arose from coming to a school and an environment that was totally different from my four years at a very diverse high school. It was a culture shock to me. I honestly felt that I didn't belong amongst the student body and a part of me felt like throwing in the towel.

Some may say that people who commit suicide are selfish. I vehemently disagree because no one knows what it is like to live the lives of those who feel insecure or unpopular or persecuted because they act or look "different."

God created us differently for a reason. I don't think He intended for the human race to be the same.

Mental illness is an issue that is not talked about in great length, especially in the black community. I'm here to say that it is perfectly ok to talk about depression or anything that causes you to have negative thoughts because God loves us despite our shortcomings. God will heal us of all things that will rob us to praise Him daily.

If you or someone you know is experiencing depressive behavior or suicidal thoughts, I strongly urge you develop dialogue with God Almighty and I assure you He will act swiftly to heal you of your hurts and worries in Jesus' name.

Be blessed and encouraged my brothers and sisters in Christ.

0 comments:

Post a Comment