Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Celebrities are overrated

Tuesday's alleged rumor of Will and Jada Smith breaking up set Twitter timelines ablazed and across Facebook pages.

Many people, including those who follow me on Twitter (@ubathediplomat, by the way) practically spazzed out at the possibility of the 13 year marriage would cease to exist. One follower mentioned she "shed a tear" of the apparent rumor. Yeah ok.

It has become apparent that some Black Americans look up to the Smiths as one of the few celebrity marriages with some longevity. Albeit both parties have issued a statement saying that the allegations were false and the marriage is intact gave a sigh of relief to many of the distressed who catch their news via social media.

However, I must ask two questions.

First, WHO died and said Will and Jada were the blueprint to a successful black marriage? Majority of celebrity marriages don't last with the exception of a few (Rodney & Holly Peete, Rev Run & Justine Simmons, etc.) Most celebs get married to boost their own individual careers.

I thought the Huxtables already established that foundation back in the 80s and the Obamas reaffirmed it back in 2008.

One of my Twitter followers tweeted yesterday that people put way too much faith in celebrities. Frankly, I agree 100%. They are human just like us regular folk. The difference is in the dollar amount.

Secondly, do people REALLY want to be in an open marriage? I'm sorry that is not a marriage. That's an orgy. If I were truly married and committed to my wife WHY on Earth would I allow her to sleep with other men and vice versa? If this is what you prefer then so be it. I love God too much to violate his law.

We have to stop basing our relationships on a celebrity's love life. It is NOT the same.

0 comments:

Post a Comment